[cvsnt] CVSNT Release plans/TT issues, etc. (was: update -A no longer resets sticky tag on modified files)

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Jun 14 17:05:00 BST 2005

Bo Berglund wrote:
> Converting to a SQL database will mean a lot of changes, for example we
> might see ViewCvs go down the drains with the RCS files including CVSGraph...

It shouldn't be a big step to make a ViewCVS that uses cvs ls to find
the files... cvs rcsfile will still work.

OTOH I intend that the repository will be browseable anyway - direct
access to the repository tree will be available through a library
(cvsfs) and it's relatively trivial to build a web output on top of
that.  Of course it won't have anything like the features of ViewCVS but
will at least work as a simple replacement.

> Also, we need to know what SQL database server(s) will be supported since
> we must manage that one as well. We're doing a fair amount of database work
> ourselves so I know a bit of what can happen and we would prefer a backend
> that we know and work with daily (MS SQL Server).

At first just SQLite as it's the simplest one to setup and transition
to.  The whole thing will be easily convertible to different platforms..
I'd imagine SQLServer and Oracle happening quite fast.  Postgresql will
happen relatively quickly.  Mysql later, if license issues can be worked
out.

> But then again that is definitely not Open Source so then we have the issue
> of weather CVSNT-DB is going to be server-neutral or not and we also have
> the issue of database size, especially with binary files being stored....

Disk is cheap!  You'd have to store them anyway on the filesystem..
storing in a database is only marginally less efficient.