[cvsnt] Re: 2.5.01.1998: User password in CLEAR(public) form in "secure" log on Linux

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Jun 22 12:08:50 BST 2005

Andrew Gaganov wrote:
> It's not true. Shadow file contains only password hashes, and cracking
> passwords is
> normally complex task.

No it isn't - a simple dictionary search across a password file will
catch 90% of the passwords in most organisations in a couple of minutes.
  Kerberos fixes this by having the entire database encrypted by a
master password (which is long and unguessable).

Basically if someone has root you have *far* worse problems than the
security of your auth.log file.

>>cvshome cvs does exactly the same thing, btw. and always has
>>done as far
>>as I can tell (at least as far back as 2001 from searching).
>
> Yes, but it happens on CLIENT side (not SERVER), on client computer.

It's server side only.  The client is not involved in that code.

This is not new at all... it's been in every CVS as far back as I can find.

It's not that it can't change (I probably will change it), but that it's
really not that big a deal, given that the file its logged to contains
all sorts of sensitive information  - even logging userenames has
similar considerations (typing password as username.. more common that
you'd expect).