[cvsnt] How to undo?

kopi at scanita.net kopi at scanita.net
Tue Jun 28 16:09:46 BST 2005

> Well, if u hve deleted a sandbox it does not affect anything on the
> server, bcoz what u have in your sandbox is just a copy of the files
> that r in the repository.

Okay, but what is 'cvs release' for then? I remember that there was a slight
difference between 'cvs release' and simply deleting the directory. I wonder if
this difference (if any) is important for me.

> But if you hve deleted something in your repository by mistakes, then
> there will b a problem n you will loose your files.
>
> If possible give me a schema of your repository of how you hve organised
> your folders etc, and wat r the mistakes you hve done.  Then will b able
> to help you more.

I have not done any mistakes so far, at least I'm not aware of any. So far I
have been hyper cautious.

I have many projects I want to manage with CVS, some of them are related to each
other, either technically linked, or just thematically. So what I am considering
is a hierarchical structure like this:

CVS Root
 \
 \--tools
 \    \-----myFileManager
 \    \-----ClipboardExpander
 \    \-----ToolX
 \
 \--ComplexProject
      \-----MainExecutable
      \-----PluginA
               \-----Scripts
      \-----PluginB

The mistakes that I might do is adding and commiting a module a the wrong place
in the hierarchy, e.g. adding ToolY as ComplexProject/ToolY instead of
tools/ToolY, or committing a file that I do not want in the repository.
Can I simply move the module and delete the mistakably added file inside the
repository?

Thanx for your help!

Cheers

-Sacha