[cvsnt] Setting ACL's

Vinay Jhumun ljhumun at sil.intnet.mu
Wed Jun 29 06:57:51 BST 2005

dzielke at aep.com wrote:

>Sure, no problem!  :-)  I struggled through this too.
>
>First of all, what version of CVSNT are you running?  The pre-2.5.01
>versions don't do permission inheritance (you have to spell it out for
>each folder), you can't specify groups of people (in the CVSROOT/group
>file) for access, and some early versions even give errors and create
>malformed XML files.  For starters, go through the security chapter in the
>cvsnt manual (chapter 3), then read Appendix A about the chacl command.
>
>Here's the order you'll want to run the cvs commands.  Let's assume that
>you have cvs userids called "joe" and "fred."  Joe creates a project and
>wants to only give permission to Fred to access his project.  First step
>is to tell CVS that Joe owns the folder:
>

>>cvs chown joe
>>

>Then he gives himself full control:
>

>>cvs chacl -u joe -a read,write,create,tag,control
>>

>Now he adds Fred's access, but he only wants Fred to have read and write
>access (you tell cvs what Fred CAN do - and then by default he can't
>create tags, new files or folders, and can't change ACL permissions):
>

>>cvs chacl -u fred -a read,write
>>

>Now Joe sets the permissions that keep all others out of the project:
>

>>cvs chacl -a noread,nowrite,nocreate,notag,nocontrol
>>

>This command lists out the permissions set for the folder:
>

>>cvs lsacl
>>

>Hope that helps.....
>

>Thanks,
>Don Zielke
>American Electric Power
>Direct (614) 583-6337
>Audinet 8-220-6337
>Email dzielke (at) aep.com
>---
>KForce Professional Staffing
>501 W. Schrock Road Suite 207
>Westerville, OH 43081
>

>"DeFurio, Rachelle" <Rachelle.DeFurio at Sensis.com>
>Sent by: cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org
>06/28/2005 04:13 PM
>

>        To:     "'cvsnt at cvsnt.org'" <cvsnt at cvsnt.org>
>        cc:
>        Subject:        [cvsnt] Setting ACL's
>

>I need some help setting Directory ACL's on the server side of CVS, anyone
>with knowledge please help.  I am at the ground level with this and not
>sure
>what the next step is.. Help
>-Rachelle

Hi, Don,
Hmmm, me too am new to CVS and CHACL,
I hve just tried what u sugested, but i got some errors,
for example, when i am assigning permission to myself,
cvs chacl -u tuser -a read,write,create,tag,control

i got the following errors:
cvs chacl: ignoring CVS BKUP <CVS/Repository missing>
setting ACL for directory test

I have CVSNT 2.0.58d installed on a Windows Server 2003 standard
edition, there is AD installed on the server.
And i am accessing the Server from a Windows XP Pro, through SSPI protocol.

Can u help me plz, how to set the ACL permissions.

Thnks & Regards
Vinay