[cvsnt] Latest updates - cvsnt 2.5.01 build 2013

David Somers dsomers at omz13.com
Thu Jun 30 10:38:24 BST 2005

On Thursday 30 June 2005 11:06, Tony Hoyle wrote:
> David Somers wrote:
> > FYI, it works just fine on both my Linux and Windows clients.
>
> I ported the client to Windows then backported it to Linux... the code
> is pretty portable now but there's stuff in there I can imagine not
> working on some platforms.

I'm sure somebody out there must be running cvsnt on some weird

> > BTW, I'm absolutly amazed that ZeroConf works... after months of sitting
> > idle, my mDNSResponder is now doing something useful ;-)
>
> It's a strange protocol...  in theory it could be really useful but
> hardly anyone uses it, outside printers.

Yep. It (ZeroConf/Bonjour) seems to be billed as a way to survive without DNS
and DHCP... to auto-discover your printers, and to do iTunes.

I guess one problem is lack of application support for ZeroConf... all the
stuff I've seen seems concerned with just enumerating what printers/http/ftp
hosts are available... which is a bit useless since I can already get all
that info using SNMP or a quick portscan of my LAN ;-)

> I've even cut down the usage.. I've had zeroconf registration in cvsnt
> for a little while & was putting the repository information in there
> too, but decided it's better just to announce the existence of the
> server rather than the whole thing (since I needed a protocol for
> querying machines across the internet anyway).

Hence :enum:?

> If you run xinetd on your Linux box you can tell it to announce all the
> services the machine supports,

How the heck do you do that?

> and you can run itunes servers using it.

I just set up a SMB share on my Linux filesever to host all my mp3s*, and play
them on my Windows box using MusicMatch. One day I'll get around to building
an embedded Linux box to playback into my Hifi system and draw pretty
patterns on my TV at the same time.

* a surprisingly large collection of works by Tangerine Dream

>   That's about the whole use at the moment!

Cheers,

--
David Somers
VoIP: FWD 622885