[cvsnt] cvs update overwrites changes

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Mar 1 21:03:30 GMT 2005

Please do not reply privately to list issues, you are much more likely
to get help if you address the list than a single participant like me.

An example is this what you describe below about using edit etc.
We *never ever* use cvs edit or any locking or reserved checkouts or
the like in our development. We all work concurrently and we never
have any problems like you describe.

As far as I know the *only* action performed when you use cvs edit
on a file is that the readonly flag on the local file is reset so
it becomes writeable. This can equally well be performed using Windows
Explorer. The only other thing that happens is that anyone having
a watch on this file will be notified that you have done cvs edit on it.
But this only happens if you have scripted the notify action in the
CVSROOT/notify script file.

I have a hard time believing that doing an unedit on an edited file
with changes will magically return the original file contents into
it...

But then again, we never ever use cvs edit ourselves.

/Bo