[cvsnt] cvs update overwrites changes

David Vo vo.david at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 22:46:24 GMT 2005

Thanks for the replies and the clarification on how the edit works.

I am a bit confused, however, since the edit command was always used
here. I have always thought this was a part of concurrency and a
method to keep track of who was doing what, since one developer can
commit his copy of the file while another developer has it edited.

Basically, a cvs get is performed and the developer uses the edit
command on the files he/she is working on. They run cvs update to
merge any committed work and then commit themselves when finished. In
some projects, exclusive locks are being used.

I would like to know your cvs procedures and see if I can start
getting the team to change- if there is in fact a better way to use
cvsnt to prevent problems that I have been seeing and maybe optimize
the experience.

Thanks,
David