[cvsnt] Re: How to contorl the access right within the ViewCVS

Mike Wake mike.wake at thales-tts.com
Wed Mar 2 09:57:06 GMT 2005

On Apache I do something like this.

<Location /cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/MyClosedCode/src>
   AuthType Basic
   AuthName "Closed Source - Ask and you may receive"
   AuthUserFile /etc/httpd/passwd/passwords
   Require user mwake
</Location>
<Location /cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/MyClosedCode/src>
   AuthType Basic
   AuthName "Closed Source - Ask and you may receive"
   AuthUserFile /etc/httpd/passwd/passwords
   Require user mwake
</Location>
<Location /cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/~checkout~/MyClosedCode/src>
   AuthType Basic
   AuthName "Closed Source - Ask and you may receive"
   AuthUserFile /etc/httpd/passwd/passwords
   Require user mwake
</Location>

Note it is only basic authentication to stop casual viewing.  Someone
could still sniff the network to intercept the actual contents of any
source that was being viewed by an authenticated person.

I should set up some sort of encryption/SSL for this but haven't worked
that out yet.  Any hints would be most welcome.

Cheers
Mikew