[cvsnt] Re: Long version numbers | Tedious to keep track

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Wed Mar 2 14:04:35 GMT 2005

Swaroop George wrote:

> All this led us creating multiple branches to the code base.
> And the version numbers have now become as long as 1.2.2.1.2.1.2.1 and
> quite cumbersome to handle.

What is exactly the problem? I almost never "handle" revision numbers. They
just are. Whenever I need to "handle" a certain revision, I use tags.

Of course you need larger columns for these... :)

If you don't need the branches, you can just go back to HEAD (or to a lower
level of branching) as someone already suggested, and simply forget about
the existence of these deeply nested branches.

Just design the branch structure the way it makes sense for you, take the
code from the existing branches and put it on the newly, better structured
branches.

Gerhard