[cvsnt] Re: Slow authentication with cvsnt and sspi

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at melandra.com
Wed Mar 2 14:19:17 GMT 2005

> From: Tony Hoyle [mailto:tmh at nodomain.org]
> The group enumration shouldn't take more than a fraction of a second
> normally.  It sounds like the connection to your domain controller is
> slow for some reason... this will be slowing down any
> application that
> needs to authenticate (plus NTFS access etc.) so it's well
> worth looking into.

In an AD environment, it *may* also be worth checking whether the groups
are local, global or universal.  Tony, you'll know better than me - does
the enumeration have to go to a global catalog server in all cases / for
universal groups, or do all DCs have enough information in all cases?  I
know a GC has to be contacted when a user logs in to obtain group
information for that user, just in case they're in any universal groups,
and would assume the same to be the case for a server resolving groups
in an SSPI connection to that server.

		- Peter