[cvsnt] Re: Repository

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon Mar 7 22:08:53 GMT 2005

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 16:58:17 -0500, "Britt Tabor"
<Britt_Tabor at Jabil.com> wrote:

>I have just installed CVSNT 2.0.58 and I am following the installation
>instructions from the download page. When I try to define my repository
>I get a popup stating "C:/CVSRoot exists, but is not a valid CVS
>repository" then asks if I still want to initialize. Why do I get that
>error?

It is NOT an error, it is a question that you are supposed to answer.
The CVSNT server can be set up to serve out *existing* repositories.
So when you navigate to a folder in the Control Panel applet and it
finds that the folder you selected fulfils the requirements of a CVS
repository root then it accepts it and registers it as a root.
But if the folder is *not* fulfilling the requirements then it asks
you to confirm that it can create the needed metadata to turn the
folder into a real CVS root folder.
CVS asks because it will write data to the disk if you accept.

When it initializes the repository folder it creates a subfolder named
CVSROOT and puts a bunch of administrative files there so it can be
used as a CVS repository afterwards.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)