[cvsnt] Re: newbie

Luigi D. Sandon cp at sandon.it
Mon Mar 14 16:52:40 GMT 2005

Rick wrote:
> importing should be done on the server?

Now, you can import from any client. Data will be written to the
repository in the proper format by cvs itself. Be sure your connection
works.

> i've created a repository without files, called xxx, if i try to connect to,

When you create a repository it has no files but those within CVSROOT,
you can "connect" to it anyway. I do not use Tortoise, so I do not know
how it handles an empty repository.

> i cant, but if i copy a file with extension ,v i can connect to, im triying

files with extension ,v are used by cvsnt to mantain versions, it's not
your task to create them. The first thing you have to do after setting
up a repository is to *import* something within. *Do not copy* anything,
  the repository should be a sort of black box, don't mess around with it.

> =), to setup security is necessary to create writers, readears and admin
> files? or it could be done with ntfs file permission?

It could be done in different ways, plus ACLs at the repository level.
If you are a newbie, first learn how to
import/checkout/update/commit/add, then you you will be ready to learn
permission. Go step by step, or you won't get out of it alive... :)