[cvsnt] Overwriting changes

David Vo vo.david at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 23:33:45 GMT 2005

Hi All,

I had a problem earlier about overwriting changes but the problem was
still pretty vague. I have a good idea of what's happening now. I'm
using 2.0.58d.

Question: How does cvsnt know that the file is currently the latest
version and ready to commit? Is it the time stamp?

I found out that it's possible cvsnt can get confused over this.
Here's one scenario:

1. Create a text file, check it in.
2. Have 2 users check it out.
3. User1 modifies and commits to that file multiple times.
4. User2 does an edit and then modifies & commits. All this without an update.
5. However, the file is now out of date so the server pings the user
about this. All good.
6. However, if User2 unedits that file and reverts it, this is where
problems will occur. (maybe the time stamp of the "reverted" revision
is current, so the server thinks its up to date). User2 can now run an
update and the M merge message is given by the server (but in reality
no merge has taken place). User2 then modifies and commits an old
revision with his own changes. Thus, the other changes before his are
overwritten.

I am currently trying to figure out other scenarios that will cause
this to happen. This is after many complaints from the developers
about this to which I responded with possible user error. I can say
with confidence that:

1. The date/time stamp, with an unedit, does not get reverted back to
the original and the server will no longer ping about the out of date
file (even though it did before this).
2. The M merge response in this situation is vague. There was no merge
happening and the user is led to believe that it was successul.

I will update everyone if other scenarios are found. Is this a known
issue? Any workarounds?

Thanks alot, David