[cvsnt] Re: one simple question about binary type

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Tue Mar 15 03:19:58 GMT 2005

Rick wrote:
> one simple question, i know cvs means concurrent version system and it was
> made to work with text files (source code) ,but can i have a word or
> powerpoint file in a repository and work with this kind of files two or more
> people at time and then commit it? or cvs just work for plain text files?

The trouble with that is that binary files can't be automatically
merged.  I'm not sure if the new Office XML formats would help out, but
it might be worth checking out.

OTOH, if you want to have someone manually merge the files later, you
can branch the binary file then have someone open both and copy/paste
over the updates from one into the HEAD version.  It's still a manual
process, but all the versions are tracked.

--
Glen Starrett