[cvsnt] Re: restoring a repository: revision collision

John Peacock jpeacocK at rowman.com
Thu Mar 17 11:33:01 GMT 2005

Friedrich Niederreiter wrote:
> 2. How do the experts handle a repository restoration?
> There might be 'hundreds' of sandboxes on various
> machines and the potential of overwriting somebody
> elses changes (not having a merge) can be a big
> problem. The overwriter can only be aware of such a
> problem if he does a diff after the commit (but why
> should he?)

This is a communications issue more than a software issue.  Any time you have to
restore the repository because of hardware failure to a previous point in time,
_all_ sandboxes become suspect.  After such a failure, you should instruct
everyone to rename their sandbox folder and check out a new copy, then carefully
compare the two trees; Beyond Compare is far and away the best way to do this:

	http://www.scootersoftware.com/

(just a happy user, not a shill).

If you have significantly distributed sandboxes (i.e. you cannot be sure to
communicate with them immediately after the repository has been restored), I
would go so far as the delete the current repository alias and create a new one
(with a different name), so that any existing sandbox is _unable_ to function.
The user will be forced to contact you for new instructions.

HTH

John