[cvsnt] Re: Client Lockup during Checkout

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Mon Mar 21 20:10:34 GMT 2005

Casimiro Daniel NPRI wrote:

>>> Can you describe in more detail "locks up"?  Is this before or
>>> after the files are updated?  What protocol are you using?
>

>> From my original message,
> "The client simply sits at the last file in the repository.  The
> process never returns.  I can "wake the client up" if I log into the
> linux box and kill the cvs server process."

Your post also said you were using ":extssh: protocol", which doesn't
exist... it's either :ext: or :ssh:, so I asked.

> Going into more detail, all of files are correctly (and completely)
> checked out.  I am using a combination of the cvs command line client
> (Daily Build server) and WinCVS (workstation).  The problem manifests
> itself more often with the command line client.  Then again, the
> daily build server checks out more files than my workstation.

That sounds like it.

> The symptons are consistent with the ssh issue.  Are there any
> work-arounds, or possible solutions to this issue?

TortoiseCVS uses a different version of plink than CVSNT's built in SSH
client, and it seems to work fine.  I'm not certain of the details, but
try downloading plink or TortoiseCVS and setting CVS_EXT (I think!) to
the alternate plink.  Mine is set to the following and it seems to be
working fine:

CVS_EXT="C:\Program Files\TortoiseCVS\TortoisePlink.exe" -ssh -2 -l "%u"
"%h"

(I had set that up quite awhile ago, before Tortoise supported :ssh:,
but it still works... might also be why I haven't seen the problem)

--
Glen Starrett