[cvsnt] Has the format of CVS Entries file changed in CVSNT > 2.0.51d?

M. dont at spam.us
Tue Mar 22 17:51:01 GMT 2005

Hello,
I use an editor (Slickedit) that has built-in support for CVS version
control commands and display of file version information and history
(using the usual tree structure metaphor). It does this by a combination
of parsing the command-line external client cvs.exe output and reading
the actual contents of CVS sandbox control files Root, Repository, and
Entries. I've really only tested elementary operations (add, check
in/out, revert, diff, history), and things seem to work alright.

At the moment I'm using CVSNT 2.0.51d, which I know is ancient, and
would like to take advantage of some of the more recent CVSNT
innovations such as file rename support, -k option versioning, etc.,
that are present in later versions of CVSNT. The editor's CVS support
won't display any extra information associated with these new features
(using the command-line client is fine for that), but I don't want the
presence of these new features to confuse the output parsing, nor any
changes in the format of the CVS sandbox control files to invalidate the
editor's assumptions about the information they contain.

Also, am I right in assuming 1) on the server side, that CVSNT server
repository formats are not backward compatible, so that once upgraded by
use of a more recent version of CVSNT, there is no going back to an
earlier version (2.0.51d in my case), and 2) on the client sandbox side,
that one cannot and should not mix earlier and later clients in the same
sandbox? (The earlier one used by the editor, so as not to confuse it,
and the later client used for the new features.)

Any illumination of these matters much appreciated.

M.