[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT Clarification...

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Thu Mar 24 16:30:17 GMT 2005

Anne Uday Chand wrote:
> 1) Now to checkout and modify any file, do I need to checkout the
> files with ", v" in "c:\repository" folder or the files in
> "c:\project" folder?

Checkout works against the repository (the place with the CVSROOT and ,v
files).  The ,v files are called "RCS files" and have all the versioning
information in them.  Do NOT modify those ,v files directly.

> 2) Does CVSNT need to have "c:\project" folder for checkin and
> checkout operations and maintaining the repository?

No.  Once you've imported them, you can checkout those files to any
directory you like and CVS will track where they belong in the repository.

> 3) Can I take a backup of "c:\project" directory and remove it from
> my hard disk?

Yes.

> 4) Also can I checkout/checkin individual files rather than a whole
> module?

Yes.

Read the CVS manual, it will help explain some of your questions more
thoroughly.

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett