[cvsnt] CVSNT Broken! taginfo - Additional Info

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Thu Mar 24 17:10:13 GMT 2005

Josh Skains wrote:
> This all gets more entertaining. In version 2.0.51d, the one that is
> supposed to still work for scripts is broke on STDIN. The files aren't
> passed at all.

They were probably passed on the command line at that time.  It had to
change because there is a limitation on the command line length in
Windows, and some users had run into that limitation when tagging large
sandboxes.

> Is CVSNT stable enough for production? It seems like it isn't getting
> tested at all. What constitutes a "stable" release when the stable
> releases have so much broken?

It's less stable (by that I mean static) than the CVSHome.org version.
If you want absolute stability, then use that version.  They have a
Win32 version as well, but it doesn't have all the features that have
been added to CVSNT.

Example:  The taginfo will work just the way it's documented in the
cvshome.org version, but it will also suffer from the command line limit
limitations.  I don't know this for a fact, I'm just trying to relate
the general philosophy:  cvshome.org is extremely conservative on adding
new features.

A stable release comes after it has settled for some time.  There are
standard tests for all the basic stuff, but really it needs to be used
by a large number of people before it can get all the kinks found and
worked out.

> I am supposed to move my CVS servers to a Win2k3 box using CVSNT.
> Unfortunately the experience has been...interesting.

AFAIK, you've hit on one key thing that has changed between versions.
Hopefully it'll be smooth sailing from now on :)

--
Glen Starrett