[cvsnt] Re: chown not setting owner on HPUX and 2.5.01

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Mon Mar 28 09:30:51 BST 2005

Gary Lewis wrote:
> Trying to set eh owner of the directory on HP-UX and the owner is not
> getting set, but I do not get any errors when running the command.  The
> cvs lsacl shows that it is not getting set.  Also I get the fileattr.xml
> malformed error.  I have been searching this news group and I do not
> find any answers as to why this is not working.  It works fine in XP
> CVSNT Server without any special setup.  Any ideas?

It's probably not worth bothering with.  The directory owner just has
admin privs on the directory... you can add that with an ACL anyway.

The HPUX compiler has the interesting property of taking completely
valid code and making random junk out of it...  it's probably nothing to
do with the code.  For the most part the upshot of this is to use the
functions that work until such time as someone gets around to working
out how to make it do something sane on that platform.  Personally I'd
avoid anything like a server on it (I have to support it for the paying
customers but there we can at least babysit it a bit and make it work...
not really prepared to put that kind of effort in for free, TBH).