[cvsnt] Re: Changing Server IP Addresses

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Thu Mar 31 20:33:32 BST 2005

Siegfried Heintze wrote:
> I'm going thru hell trying to find and configure a router/firewall/nat box
> that will allow me to host multiple external IP addresses.
>
> I was using 192.168.0.8 has the address of my cvsnt host. But, my routers
> want to use 192.168.1.1 so I changed the address of my server to be
> 192.168.1.8.
>
> Ooopss, this screwed up the sand boxes on my other machines. So I go back to
> my windows server and change the address mask to be 255.255.0.0 and add
> 192.168.0.8 in addition to 192.168.1.8 but for some reason this does not fix
> the problem. I think the problem is that this linksys router UI won't let me
> change its network mask to 255.255.0.0. Now I know why these boxes are so
> cheap.

Don't change the internal IP of that router.  Every time you upgrade the
firmware it'll reset and (IMHO) it's a PITA to change it back.  The mask
is set properly for the type of network (class C).

I'd suggest you change your sandboxes to use the machine name instead of
the IP address.  Even if you still need to hardcode the IP address, you
can update it in one place (the HOSTS file) on each machine instead of
many (the sandboxes).

Within every directory in your sandboxes you'll find a (hidden) CVS
directory.  In each of those directories is a "Root" file that has the
CVS root of the server where it got the source from.  Change that using
WinCVS or any in file search and replace utility you prefer.

--
Glen Starrett