[cvsnt] chacl/chown behavior

dzielke at aep.com dzielke at aep.com
Mon May 2 19:43:15 BST 2005

I have two userids that I am playing with to try and get access control
working.  I set the directory ownership using the cvs chown command like
this:

(in window one, logged in as dzielke)
        $ cvs chown dzielke
        Changing owner for directory .

Then I tried to check in a file under a different userid (in window two,
logged in as dzielke2):
        $ cvs ci newFile
        Error in xml_read: not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
        Error in xml_read: not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
        Error in xml_read: not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
        Error in xml_read: not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
        Error in xml_read: not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
        Error in xml_read: not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
        Error in xml_read: not well-formed (invalid token) at line 2
        cvs [commit aborted]: Malformed fileattr.xml file in
/usr/local/cvs/sandbox/DonZ_Test/CVS.  Please fix or delete this file

I went to a third window (logged in as dzielke and sitting in the
repository directory of the file I want to checkin) and looked at the
fileattr.xml file for that directory:
        $ cat CVS/fileattr.xml
        <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
        <fileattr>
          <directory/owner>dzielke</directory/owner>
        </fileattr>

Which looks to me like the format is all wrong on the ownership. Shouldn't
it be:

And indeed if I edit the fileattr.xml file for that directory and change
it as I show above, it works and the error goes away. We are using cvsnt
version 2.0.58b on a RedHat LINUX server.

First question is regarding the malformed fileattr.xml file... if I remove
it and re-run the cvs chown command, it comes back malformed every time.
Has anyone else run across this? I don't see any mention of it in the
release notes

The second question revolves around chacl and chown and how they work. The
setting of directory ownership appears to be ignored at "cvs add" or "cvs
commit" time - do I also have to specify something special via the "cvs
chacl" command to limit access?  Can I specify ownership of a module to a
group of id's (like through a UNIX group)?

Thanks,
Don Zielke
American Electric Power
Direct (614) 583-6337