[cvsnt] Branch woes

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Mon May 9 15:12:02 BST 2005

With CVSNT this is very simple....
Just make sure you are on the tip of the Delta branch, then update with merge
from HEAD.
Now sort out your conflicts (there could be a lot if there has been a lot of
development on both branch and TRUNK).
Once you have Delta working again with the code from TRUNK, commit your edits
to the Delta branch and just continue developing.

there is absolutely no point in trying to move the branch point anywhere!!!
CVSNT will show you exactly where the merge took place because it stores this
in the RCS files on the server. Thus it knows from where it has been synchronized
and the next time you merge the diffs will be calculated from the merge point
and therefore the same conflicts will NOT appear again.

I think the best way is to develop on Delta and frequently do the merge update
against HEAD and commit. The more often you do it the easier it is because the
conflicts are less likely to occur.

/Bo