[cvsnt] pserver problem

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Wed May 11 10:55:23 BST 2005

First of all, your connection string is totally wrong, the only correct
part I can see is the name of the protocol (:pserver:), everything else
is total gibberish....

THe correct syntax is:
  :pserver:user at server:/repository

I bet that your server is not named 2401 and the user you have set up is
not named 127.0.0.1, right? But that is what you are trying to use....

The proper thing to do is the following:

1. Check the name of the repository you are trying to access by opening
   the CVSNT control panel applet and navigate to the repositories tab.
   Note then name entry for your repository, this is what you need to use
   in the connection string.

2. The connection string should now look something like:
   :pserver:localhost:/repository

3. Since you probably have not configured :pserver: yet I suggest you change
   connection string to:
   :sspi:localhost:/repository
   and then try to access the server for example by issuing the command:
   cvs ls
   This should get you a listing containing at least CVSROOT
   (Note that there is no such thing as cvs login with :sspi:)

4. Once this is working you need to add the pserver user to the cvs server
   before you can use that login. So still with the sspi connection you
   should issue the cvs passwd command and add a user with an alias to a
   real account and set the CVS password for that user.

5. Then (and only then) can you switch to the :pserver: protocol using
   the connect string like so:
   :pserver:user at server:/repository
   and now the first thing you must do is to cvs login and enter the
   password you set up above.

/Bo