[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT and Subversion comparison

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Tue May 17 22:22:35 BST 2005

Tony Hoyle wrote:

>> Now that you say it... :)  The way to get there goes through a link to a
>> "Development download page" (I wasn't looking for a development download)
>> and there it is located in the topic "Current versions". It could be better
>> advertised...
>
> Perhaps it should say 'Unstable/Testing Download'?

For me, that's still not where I would look for archived /stable/ builds. I
just don't expect stable builds on a page labeled "development builds" or
"unstable builds".

> I'm not very good at websites, as you can tell...  that was part of my
> motivation for the wiki.  Unfortunately it became susceptible to spam so
> I had to limit the editors (it's not very limited.. I basically just add
> anyone who asks, but it's not as free as it was).

I think I can help here... Could you add me please? Then I start adding
there what I had to find out...

> There should be a link on the main page.  It's gone missing...

Stuff like this for example is within my reach :)

> People like the RSS feed, and the blog gives that for free.

I figured that much, but I thought that it was easier to get this with the
wiki.

> I try to put as much info in a stable release note as is needed to bridge
> the gap between the two releases.  The list gets the shorter form, and
> the release notes plus history get the longer form.

When you say "release notes", are you referring to what's in the blog?

>> Maybe a wiki page "Release Information", linked from the main wiki page,
>> that contains links to the pages with the collected release information?
>> One page per stable release. You collect the things you do in a page
>> "Current Development" (like you are doing in the blog) and once that
>> becomes a stable release, you rename the page to "Release 2.1.15" or
>> whatever? And add a link to the release files to it?
>
> That's possible... it's basically what the blog does though.

For me, it would be different. The main difference is that the blog doesn't
organize the release notes. I can get the different categories, but for
example I can't get a page with all release notes of the development
releases between two stable releases -- something interesting if you
prepare for a server update, I think, as it is kind of a detail log of the
summary information that comes with the stable release.

Just out of curiosity: have you considered Sourceforge? They seem to
provide a lot of infrastructure for these things.

Gerhard