[cvsnt] Re: Server cannot lock

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Thu May 19 23:38:52 BST 2005

Paul Ardis wrote:
> Sorry, I should have listed the exact command earlier.  What I'm doing is
> this:
>
> cvs -d :local:Z:\ -N commit -m "initial commit"

Like Bo said -- Don't do this.

In the event your comment about being a lowly grad student meant that
you can't install the server service either for some reason, then you
can but there are risks to your repository (e.g. file corruption).  The
problem you are seeing probably stems from one of the basic problems
with doing what you're trying since I **think** CVSNT uses file based
locking automatically when it is in local mode.  Make sure by setting
the CVSROOT\config appropriately for file locks.

Or better yet, use a CVS hosting service to store your CVS files on a
real server.  There are several in operation last time I looked (e.g.
SourceForge, cvsdude, sourcehosting, etc.) but I don't have any
experience with any except SourceForge.

--
Glen Starrett