[cvsnt] CVSNT gets more and more unstable (too much releases)

merkle news at merkleonline.de
Fri May 20 20:54:06 BST 2005

Hi there,

some observations from previous threads of this month (I don't quote
them all)

- we have more and more background noise because of some missing basic
project policies I think we could avoid much noise with a better and
cleaner documentation, e.g. bug database, release notes, fewer and more
stable releases, etc.

- we need a bug database (where has the mantis bug database gone ???).
Every project needs a bugdatabase why not use bugzilla ?
just browsing the news/mailing list is rediculus and very timeconsuming
(I have NOT the time to follow the mailing list every day)

- we need fewer and more stable releases. I think releasing versions
with build numbers does not make sense
Please release fewer versions and better tested versions. also it is not
obvious which release has with bugs and which bugs are fixed...

- bugs like the "currupting binaries" may not happend. It has to be
verified via a testsuite that such things don't happen.
The informations we put into cvs are just to important that i can afford
to loose information just because upgrading cvsnt
(and the new cvsnt has this bug.) Btw. what is that status of the bug.
My newsreader does not show any resolution of this bug ?

- old archives for binaries have been removed. We are e.g. still using
2.0.51d here without problems and the installer has disapeared from the
page. Why ? I don't want to rebuild this from source, since i can't
guarantee that i have the same build environment as you and so the
resulting binary might differ from your.

- I was a user of UNIX cvs and switched to cvsnt about the 2.0.30
releases. Up to that time cvsnt was stable and I was very satisfied.
Now in the meantime, things seems to get more and more chaotic (or
dynamically) so using cvsnt for a production environment is problematic.
I am really considering switching back to UNIX cvs or maybe subversion
(which is less dynamic and better documented, at least concerning
release notes, what has changed etc)

kind regards,
Bernhard.