[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT gets more and more unstable (too much releases)

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri May 20 23:18:57 BST 2005

merkle wrote:

> - we need fewer and more stable releases. I think releasing versions
> with build numbers does not make sense
> Please release fewer versions and better tested versions. also it is not
> obvious which release has with bugs and which bugs are fixed...

Fewer versions?  On average there's a new stable version maybe every 3
months...  if it got much slower I'd have to retire!  The decision to
release a stable version isn't taken lightly, and will rarely be brought
forward*

I strongly believe in "Release early, release often".  That way bugs get
fixed quickly, and those that want to follow the bleeding edge can do
so.  The unstable/testing versions get upgraded as soon as I have a
collection of things ready to test.  That can be several releases a day
if I want it to be, although it normally isn't.

The project then gets promoted to stable *only* when the the current
users are satisfied with the state of the release.. and even that's
often delayed due to timing with website upgrades, customer requests, etc.

Tony

* although the current one is that as some changes broke the reserved
edit system & the commercial side rely heavily on that.. that's pretty
unusual though, and there's some debate as to whether to leave it as it
is and just upgrade the commercial customers as is happening at the moment.