[cvsnt] WinCvs with multiple commit of gif images cvsnt crashes

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at melandra.com
Mon May 23 13:04:51 BST 2005

> From: drakan [mailto:francesco.dagostino at kplus.it]
> I'm using WinCvs ver 2.0.0.2 and CVSNT version 2.5.0.1 .
> Sometimes when add set of binary files ( .gif ) and after
> commit all file the server side Machine ( WIN2000 Server
> ) crashes; instead if commit is limited to one file at time
> it work fine.

Have you checked for hardware faults on the Windows 2000 Server?  In
particular, memtest86+ (http://www.memtest.org/) and cpuburn
(http://pages.sbcglobal.net/redelm/) are useful test tools to ensure
that your RAM, and the interface between CPU and RAM, are working.

With cpuburn, I suggest running burnbx and burnmmx for 1-2 minutes each
with a parameter of 'E', and then again with a parameter of 'L'.  If
your machine survives those tests, the CPU to RAM interface is probably
OK.  I know this sounds like black magic, but I've now found two
separate Win2K servers where the combination of CPU, motherboard and RAM
looked OK to memtest86, but failed almost immediately under the cpu burn
tests.  In one case, reducing the speed of the memory bus by 5% allowed
stable operation until we could get replacement parts; in the second
case, the motherboard didn't permit this.

		- Peter