[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT repository RSS feed utility -- track commits toyour repositories

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Wed May 25 13:10:03 BST 2005

Bo Berglund wrote:

> I actually once started out on a branch for CVSMailer to set it up to
> send the message directly to a newsserver. But it stopped cold when I
> realized that there was no newsserver available on a W2000Pro or XPPro
> machine. No test environment means no possibility to develop the thing
> either.

Hamster is a free mail and news server for Windows. Check out
http://www.elbiah.de/hamster/ for more info. Rather straightforward to set
up and use.

> Of course if the final aim is to get the data to a newsserver then it is
> really a workaround to first make it into an email...

I didn't see it as a workaround; I saw it as sending the notification from
cvs to a (mail and news) server, and there I filter it according to the
affected modules and distribute into several newsgroups.

But yes, it would make more sense to have the information what to send to
the individual newsgroups in the repository server configuration (e.g.
loginfo) rather than in the mail and news server configuration.

Gerhard