[cvsnt] Re: gzip requests

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu May 26 13:54:12 BST 2005

teknokrat wrote:
> Does cvs support gzip compression? The reason i ask is that I get the
> following error message when Maven tries to generate a changelog
>
> Server is not supporting gzip-file-contents request
>
> Does anyone know if this is a maven issue, or cvsnt issue?

gzip-file-contents was an ancient (CVS 1.8?  Probably earlier.) way of
compressing the stream.  It hasn't had any purpose as long as I can
remember...  Apparently cvshome server still supports it but it's
bitrotted even on that (it crashes the server according to a couple of
bug reports).

You need a client that was written somewhat later than 1996 :)