[cvsnt] Unknown expansion option ' æ'

feymard at stago.fr feymard at stago.fr
Tue May 31 10:04:17 BST 2005

                      "David Somers"
                      <dsomers at trevezel        Pour :    <cvsnt at cvsnt.org>
                      .com>                    cc :      (ccc : Franck-Sébastien EYMARD/GENNEVILLIERS/STAGO)
                      Envoyé par :             Objet :   [cvsnt] Unknown expansion option 'æ'
                      cvsnt-bounces at cvs
                      nt.org

                      30/05/2005 21:26

> $ cvs checkout prj/wxWidgets
> cvs server: Updating prj/wxWidgets
> U prj/wxWidgets/.cvsignore
> U prj/wxWidgets/BuildCVS.txt
> cvs server: Unknown expansion option 'æ'.

[...]

> $ cvs log prj/wxWidgets/acinclude.m4
>
> RCS file: /omz13/prj/wxWidgets/acinclude.m4,v
> Working file: prj/wxWidgets/acinclude.m4
[...]
> ----------------------------
> revision 1.1.1.2
> date: 2005/02/19 08:15:49;  author: dsomers;  state: Exp;  lines: +72 -1;
> kopt: æ·|úæ·È\ ;  commitid: 12e9429b5f799ead;  filename: acinclude.m4;
> load 2.5.4

I lost days with this bug (many files in my case have a corrupted kopt).
take a look on the 'CVS' folder in omz13/prj/wxWidgets : the corruption is
visible in "entries" file, updated by the server (the guilty is not the
'add' operation).

I think it happens when a file has reborn after a remove and add, for
example. There is no rule to generate the bug: not all files, not only on
specific extensions, ...
(using TortoiseCVS and CVSNT build 1969 and 1973 on a 2000 professional and
a 2003 server)

A workarround is to force your file in binary (kopt  b): the error
reappears once in logs, but commit and other operations will work.

Good Luck!