[cvsnt] Windows XP installation - unable to login

Michael Beers mbeers at us.ibm.com
Fri Nov 4 14:34:17 GMT 2005

Hello,
I have CVSNT installed on a Windows NT workstation and it works with no
problems. I have also installed it to a Windows XP Pro workstation
(version 2.5.02
build 2115) and I can not login from a client. I am trying to use the
pserver protocol, but I do not think that is the problem. I turned on
tracing
on the server and the log shows the following errors:

S -> io_getline failed
S - > Client sent ' '
S - > Couldn't find a matching authentication protocol.

It appears that the server is unable to read the information passed from
the client. I have tried this from two different client workstations using
two different CVS
clients. I have turned off the firewall and antivirus on the server.. it
did not make a difference.  I tried running in the default domain on the
workstation and as
stand-alone (no domain selected).. makes no difference.

I tried running cvsservice -test and that returns:

C:\>cvsservice -test
CVSNT 2.5.02 (Servalan) Build 2115 (Oct  9 2005) starting in test mode.
TEMP/TMP currently set to D:\Temp
Initialising socket...
Starting auth server on port 2401/tcp...
Couldn't register with active directory: Configuration information could
not be read from the domain controller, either because the machine is
unavailable, or
access has been denied.
CVSNT initialised successfully

I installed while logged into an id with Administrator privileges, and it
should have write access to the files in the cvs repository.  Does anyone
have any
idea what I might be doing wrong, or how I can get more information on
what's failing? I have not been able to find anything looking for
io_getline failed...
Thank you in advance!
Michael Beers.