[cvsnt] Add User

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Mon Nov 7 08:17:05 GMT 2005

You don't add users to CVS.
You add files and folders to CVS....

What you possibly refer to is using the cvs passwd command to add a user *login*
to cvs. This is described in the CVSNT documentation (the helpfile).

This will add user logins to CVS, but only for the (insecure) :pserver:
connection protocol. With this you can set a different cvs password for the
pserver users compared to their domain login password.
You can also alias a CVS login to a single real user account on the domain
using cvs passwd command.
But still all of this is *only* for the :pserver: protocol.
All other protocols use the existing user accounts.

CVS users are just ordinary system users, so these are added by the
system administrators (IT department) in the normal user administration
ways used by your company.

Note:
By managing the CVSROOT/readers and CVSROOT/writers files in CVS you are
able to define which system accounts will be given access to the CVS system
and also define these accounts for readonly or full access.

And you can use the cvs chacl command to fine grain the user access down to
individual branches in single files. The cvs chacl command can use account
names and also group names as arguments.

/Bo