[cvsnt] Re: Regarding installation on Citrix

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Nov 12 07:24:46 GMT 2005

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 06:13:24 +0000 (GMT), Mallesh
<mallesh_efftrons at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

>Thank you for giving quick and useful replay. Still we are
>in confusion to install CVSNT on CIRTIX meta fram running
>on top of Windows 2000. Why because some users of CVSNT are
>not recommended this type of setup because it is not good
>idea to run CVSNT server and client like (WINCVS etc..) on
>the same machine, it will cause some windows problems.

No *windows* problems at all! This works perfectly well.

>But at the same time some of the users are telling, till now we
>are not faced any kind of problems. Which one is right in the
>above? If the first one is right then we will defiantly change
>our idea, and we will build normal Windows and client environment
>rather than CITRIX.
>
>If second one is right, then is it right to connect client to
>server through "local" protocol

No, definitely wrong! You are not even using the server at all if you
"connect" using :local:. What :local: means is that the client goes
directly to the repository files and reads/writes these files by
itself. The server never even is contacted at all!
So if several client processes in Terminal Services do this at the
same time it is like several different PC:s were operating on the
files at the same time....

>(why I am asking is some users
>telling the "local" protocol is enough because server and client
>are working on the same machine). If not, can you suggest which
>type of protocol is better (normal LAN network) and how to build?

If more than a single person is expected to use a CVSNT repository at
the same time then definitely :local: is *wrong*!!!!
It does not matter that these concurrent users all work on the same PC
via the Citrix system.

The discussion saying that if the client and server are on the same PC
then it is OK to use :local: is not correct when you are expecting
several users at the same time to be working on the same PC, like on a
terminal server (=Citrix). It is only correct when you talk about
normal PC:s where there is only one active session at a time.
Consider the Terminal Services sessions as separate PC:s instead.

What you should do is the following:

1) Install CVSNT *server* somewhere, it can be on the same PC as is
hosting Terminal Services even though it is not recommended because of
performance issues.

2) Install a CVS client like WinCvs on the PC hosting Terminal
Services. This will mean that you also install CVSNT there, but in
*client* mode only so that the cvs.exe is available for the users.

3) Do not use the :local: protocol, use :sspi: or another
client/server protocol instead. It is perfectly useful even when
connecting between client and server on the same PC. But it is better
to have the CVSNT server on another PC.

Now all your users possibly working at the same time on tyhe Terminal
Services host will be abel to connect to the CVSNT server and it will
use its very strong functions to protect the repository from
corruption because the only process accessing the repository itself
wil be the service.

>With regards,
>Mallesh

> Enjoy this Diwali with Y! India Click here

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)