[cvsnt] Re: Regarding installation on Citrix

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at melandra.com
Sun Nov 13 13:02:51 GMT 2005

[Apologies for formatting; I still need to upgrade this WebMail...]

I agree with everything Bo has pointed out (especially, do *not* use :local:).  I'll add three points:

1) If the CVSNT server is on the same machine as the clients, you should always be able to use SSPI.  This is by far the simplest protocol to set up.  I'd still try hard to use SSPI even if you have a separate CVSNT server; this means that both machines will have to be in the same Windows or Active Directory domain.

2) When choosing a graphical CVS client, as always with Terminal Services, try to choose one that does the fewest unusual things.  I'd suggest WinCVS as it is a standalone program.  TortoiseCVS is more intuitive for the simple tasks, but I don't know how it registers its integration with Windows Explorer, and hence I don't know how well-behaved it will be under Terminal Services.  As always, test installing the new program on a separate, test machine with Terminal Services on it... you *do* have such a machine of course ;-).

3) This last point is my personal prejudice and is not backed up by any evidence; use it or ignore it as you wish.  If you choose to install the CVSNT server on the Terminal Server, use the .msi install file if you can.  Terminal Services in multi-user mode installs applications in slightly odd ways, and I suspect that using the .msi installer gives it more opportunity to amend the application's installation than using one of the Inno installers.

- Peter