[cvsnt] Re: Regarding Repository creation problem

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Sun Nov 13 23:01:19 GMT 2005

Mallesh wrote:

> 2) After checkout when we trying to open the file from Wincvs by
> double clicking one client is opening it with notepad (for any type
> of files), but another client opening it with respected file editor
> (like Delphi, Microsoft Word etc
). Why this type of behavior?

WinCvs' double-click behaviour is configurable. The very first time you
double-click a file you should get a dialog asking you what to do. You
could then choose to suppress that dialog in the future. You could
bring it back up by holding down the shift-key while double-clicking.
The choices are:

Edit with the associated editor:
  This will attempt to open the file using the "Edit" shell verb. If
none is defined, it will try to use the "Open" verb, then the default
and if that isn't defined it will use WinCvs' default editor (as
configured via Admin|Preferences|WinCvs).

Edit with the default editor:
  This will open the file in the default editor (as configured via
Admin|Preferences|WinCvs).

Open with the associated viewer:
  This will attempt to open the file using the "Open" shell verb. If
none is defined it will try to use the default verb and if that isn't
defined as well, the WinCvs' default editor.

Open with...:
  This will bring up the standard "Open with" dialog, allowing you to
choose which application to open the file in.

Execute default shell action:
  This will exhibit identical behaviour as double-clicking a file in
Windows Explorer, i.e. attempt to invoke the default verb or otherwise
show the "Open with..." dialog.

Personally I always set this to "Edit with associated editor". This
ensures for instance that double-clicking a Python script file in
WinCvs will not execute it (as Explorer would) but rather open it
inside my Python IDE. Similar behaviour for graphic files or HTML
documents.
Note that there is a macro for easily configuring "Edit" file type
associations (most applications do not set these themselves).

Hope this helps.

--
Oliver
JID:  ogiesen at jabber.org