[cvsnt] Pserver vs. Sserver

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Mon Nov 14 15:36:12 GMT 2005

I was just recently made aware that Sserver uses the same
password handling system as Pserver does. I did not know
this previously, unfortunately.

Anyway I did some tests yesterday on a brand new W2003
Enterprise Server where I installed CVSNT build 2148 and
configured it for password handling using the normal cvs
passwd commands for aliasing cvs users to system users etc.

Then I tried the :sserver: protocol and it worked right away.

So now I have the following questions:

1. Is Sserver available also on the unix version of cvsnt

2. Is Sserver possible to use for these people who are always
   asking about Eclipse?

In any case it looks like Sserver should be a recommended
protocol for Internet cvs access since one does not need
to configure SSH and it still encrypts the traffic. It feels
like an improved Pserver for ease of configuration and use.

Bo