[cvsnt] Re: Can cvsnt go faster?

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Thu Nov 17 00:05:52 GMT 2005

Dan wrote:
> Hi, As our repository grows, it's getting slower. The main complaint is
> doing an update takes about 4-5 minutes, even when there are no files
> updated.
>
> The project is about 15,100 files, 818 megs on the server.

4 minutes for 15,000 files is pretty good, if you've got the entire
sandbox checked out.

cvs doesn't (currently) version directories so the client must send the
sandbox information for all 15,000 files to the server... the network IO
along for that will be fairly considerable (gigabit ethernet would of
course be faster.. may not be practical though).