[cvsnt] cvs rdiff -kk

Pat Galea patgalea.list at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 17 11:03:36 GMT 2005

Hi all.

I have a script that builds up a list of files that have changed on a
branch. Sometimes a file shows up as changed even though only the
keywords are different (e.g. new revision number). I'd like the script
to suppress these 'changed' files.

If I run cvs rdiff with the -kk option to stop it looking at the
keywords, it does what I want. Only the *really* changed files show
up.

But if I run cvs rdiff with -kk *and* -s (to show only the
one-line-per-item list), then all changed files are shown, regardless
of whether the change occurs in the keywords or the file proper. And
the -s option is the one that I'm using in my script, as it generates
a simple list.

My guess is that -s is telling rdiff to do a much simpler check,
perhaps just looking at the revision history rather than peeking in
the files. If so, then this means that the -s option effectively
overrides -kk. I've not found any documentation suggesting that this
is the case, but empirically it appears to be so.

Does anyone have any harder information on what's going on here, or
suggestions? It won't be beyond the wit of man to write a script that
runs the full cvs rdiff -kk to filter in only the 'interesting'
changes, but I'd like to be sure that there isn't a simpler way using
-s first.

Many thanks.

Pat Galea