[cvsnt] CVS Core on AIX

Derek Nerenberg dnerenberg at healthtrans.com
Thu Nov 17 23:15:54 GMT 2005

Hello,

I'm having problems with a CVS repository on an AIX box when I connect
to it with any of several versions of cvs.exe.  Every command issued to
the remote repository using cvsnt causes a core file to be created and
never cleaned up.  The core files are 32M each and cause /tmp to fill up
quite quickly.

I had a coworker look at a core file in a debugger and found that it's
caused by a segmentation fault.  It looks like the repository can't
clean up its memory.  I saw another post from someone that was having a
similar problem on AIX.  The fix was to change the code for the CVS
repository they built such that it doesn't create the core file anymore.
That's not really going to work for me.

I am able to check stuff in and out locally on the AIX box without a
problem.  I can also use it from another remote UNIX box using pserver
without any problems.  Also, using Eclipse plugins, I have no problems
(also using pserver).  The only time I have a problem with the
repository coring out is when I use cvsnt (cvs.exe).

My second problem (with cvsnt) is that I can browse just about
everything in the repository, except the folder I need to browse.  Under
the $CVSROOT, I have a folder called "java" that has all of my projects
in it.  I can only see one project in this folder, and there are roughly
another 60 projects I need to access.

What information do you need to help resolve this issue?

Environment Info
CVS Repository:	AIX 5.x, version 1.11.5
CVS Client:		Windows XP Professional
CVSNT:		2.0.41a to 2.5.03