[cvsnt] administrative file for cvs add

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Tue Nov 22 13:09:03 GMT 2005

Dulat Simon wrote:

> But: another point is bothering us. I read something about "sandboxes
> on remote shares is not supported" on CVSNT.

Actually they're not only unsupported on CVSNT. They are not supported
by GNU CVS either and never have been. The only difference is that
CVSNT actually takes active steps to discourage you from using them.

Just search the list archives of any remotely CVS-related project (e.g.
this one) and I'm sure you'll come up with tons of information about
why it is such a bad idea to have CVS sandboxes on network shares.

BTW: March Hare (i.e. Tony's employer) does offer some support for
CVSNT with network shares as part of their commercial support
contracts. See http://march-hare.com/cvspro/ (under the "Professional"
headline).

> Most of my colleges do have their sandboxes on network shares
> connected by samba.

Then they'd better stop doing that right now...

Cheers,

--
Oliver
JID:  ogiesen at jabber.org