[cvsnt] SSPI problems after upgrading to 2.5.03.2151

Morten Jøhnk Morten.Joehnk at edlund.dk
Tue Nov 22 19:44:52 GMT 2005

Hi

We have been using a mix of older cvsnt clients (primarily the versions that have been bundled with WinCVS over the last year or so) together with a server updated at nearly every new stable release of cvsnt. With 2.5.03.2151 we decided that it was time to get everyone up to date to ensure compatibility between clients and the server, and after (too little) testing, we upgraded every machine. Most users were already using SSPI although a few users used pserver for historical reasons.

The upgrade went well for most of the users on our LAN, but many of our remote users are now rejected by the server with an authentication error. The setup for our remote users are that they establish an SSH tunnel (using either putty or an old SSH.com client) of port 2401 to the CVS server and use CVSROOTS like :sspi:localhost:/repo. This has worked well - and still works with old cvsnt versions, but fails with 2151 - or rather it fails for some users. The ones using a cached login to our domain have no problems, but the ones on other domains or not logged in to a domain are now rejected by the server.

Any way to fix this, or any information I can provide to help you understand and diagnose this problem?

Another problem: A few of our users have logon-names with non-ascii characters in them (maybe not the worlds best idea, but people likes to have their names spelled correctly). This works with pserver but I have never been able to get SSPI to accept it. Any way to solve this? (Will enabling UTF-8 server do anything to the usernames?)

Morten Joehnk