[cvsnt] Re: Unwanted translated socket error message

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Sun Oct 2 02:36:44 BST 2005

Wu Yongwei wrote:
> 1) Using a non-default code page (like CP437) is allowed and normal
> under Windows, esp. considering that Windows will force the code page to
> 437 if a DOS application (like edit, arj, f-prot, etc.) is invoked. Some
> applications, like hiew, works well only under CP437.

As far as applications are concerned Windows has only two codepages -
the current ANSI codepage, and Unicode (there is the OEM codepage but
that's just a DOS compatibility hack as far as I can see).  cvsnt is
increasingly Unicode/Utf8 internally but to work from the command line
it needs to know and work with the ANSI codepage.

DOS applications are irrelevant in this contect - cvsnt is not a DOS
application.

> 2) All messages in CVSNT is in English. Why should the error messages be

That's a temporary situation.. full localisation is in the future (not
that far off either).   The old CVS couldn't do it because it understood
nothing but US-ASCII anyway..  the days are long gone that an
application can be that simplistic about language.

> an exception? I was really expecting all English messages. I cannot find
> a workaround to make it English.

Switch your windows to english language, and it'll generate all its
messages in english.  I suspect Control
Panel->Languages->Advanced->Language for non-Unicode Programs would do it.

There's no particular reason to favour english over any other language
cvsnt actually has a disproportionate number of japanese and german
users - there's more of an argument for all the messages to be in german
than english...

> 4) Fixing other applications is more difficult than changing CVSNT in
> this case, and there might be too many applications to `fix'. For one
> thing, I even do not know how to detect the `ANSI' code page in Vim
> scripting (there are more things to do than that if I want to make the
> Chinese message correct in a UTF8-encoding Vim with a CVS integration
> script).

It shouldn't need to.

A correctly functioning Windows application, when calling another
Windows Application, should assume that all its output is in the current
ANSI codepage, and transcode it to whatever it needs internally if it's
using something else.  If Vim is not doing this then file a bug with
them.  It's not something that cvsnt can fix.

Anyway *what* error messages?  It's pretty rare to see network error
messages on a functioning system.. you see them during setup of course
but once it's working it's fine.