[cvsnt] CVSNT incompatibility with older servers

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Oct 9 15:16:20 BST 2005

Today I had to commit some software changes to a server that is
running 2.0.38. I have upgraded my own local server to build 2114 and
that is what was used during the commit. I have also set the CVSROOT
to start out with :sspi;Force=NTLM:cvsserver.....

The commit from within WinCvs failed with the following error:
cvs commit -m "Compiled build 195 of both AGISSAdmin and AGISSAdminMLM
to fix the error in comm..." -- AGISSAdminMLM.cfg AGISSAdminMLM.dof
AGISSAdminMLM.exe AGISSAdminMLM.res AGISSAdmin.exe AGISSAdmin.cfg
AGISSAdmin.dof AGISSAdmin.res AGISSAdmin.dpr (in directory
C:\Engineering\Projects\PC\AGIAdmin\)
cvs [commit aborted]: writing to server socket: error -1

Then I switched WinCvs to use an older version:
Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.01 (Travis) Build 1976
(client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.38 (client/server)

and this time the commit went through without a hitch.

So what is the deal here? Is the current HEAD CVSNT not possible to
use as a client against older versions of CVSNT as server?

PS: The server was due for an upgrade to the latest build last week
when we discovered that the scripting problems with directores and
files containing embedded spaces had resurfaced!
So the update went on hold yet again. Ever since this server was put
in place it has worked very good. But it could never be updated past
2.0.41 (which was in my mind a too small step to take) due to constant
problems with the scripting handling. We rely heavily on the correct
operations of the scripts and so we have never had a good stable point
in time to do the update...
DS

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)