[cvsnt] Re: Trouble with pserver on WinXP

John Waugh john.waugh at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 19:10:39 BST 2005

I must be missing something...

I thought that with pserver, authentication was accomplished by sending
passwords in cleartext over the line.
It may be insecure, but it is authenticated, no?
A trivially encrypted version of the password is stored in the registry, to
match against future passwords - that process is authentication, isn't it?

If I had set the server to "Require encryption" then of course pserver
couldn't comply. But I only used "Require authentication" - seems like
pserver fits that bill

or does "Require authentication" imply it needs an ssh connection or
somesuch?