[cvsnt] Re: Conrtol Panel will not open

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Tue Oct 11 17:19:56 BST 2005

Anthony Williams wrote:

> You could still modify the DLL names, or load them at runtime from the CVSNT
> install dir. The problem only manifests with the control panel applet, since
> it is a DLL loaded into another process; the main EXE always finds the correct
> versions of the DLLs it needs, since the directory containing the EXE is
> searched before the path.

The openssl lib is renamed, but that's because it passes FILE* objects
around, which means it needs to be compiled using the same compiler that
the calling application is using otherwise it falls over.  OTOH I'm
leaning towards using the internal Win32 SSL (Schannel) in the future so
that sserver works more seamlessly (SSPI can already use schannel if
it's configured).

Iconv and Expat shouldn't have that issue, since they just pass pointers
to text around mostly (except for cygwin versions - WinCVS was hit by
that problem re. tcl.dll... they're not binary compatible with the win32
versions even though they have the same name).

If you have a non-cygwin iconv that's causing problems it'd be
interesting to see what the problem actually is with it, since there's
nothing special about the cvsnt one other than being recompiled in
visual studio for efficiency (the same goes for expat really.. it's only
in the source tree as it's a required component for the Unix installs).