[cvsnt] Re: Problems using client under Linux with SSPI proto col

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Tue Oct 11 21:10:25 BST 2005

vega, james wrote:
> Tony Hoyle wrote:
>
>>vega, james wrote:
>>

>>>That works fine on my Windows system, but this is my Linux
>>
>>system that I'm
>>
>>>attempting to work from.
>>
>>Linux is harder.. SSPI is limited to NTLMv1, which may be disabled on
>>your network.
>

> These two systems are on the same network and I am able to login to our
> websites that use NTLM.  Is there a way that I could verify whether it is
> enabled?

Ask your admin... it may be NTLMv2 or Kerberos only (especially if you
don't anticipate having any Win9x machines connecting).

NTLMv1 is pretty insecure - there are good reasons to disable it.  It's
there only as a compatibility option since there's no encryption
supported and the LM passwords are crackable.  On a closed network where
you trust everyone it's usable though.