[cvsnt] Re: Problem importing files including 0x1A character

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Wed Oct 12 14:10:54 BST 2005

Gill Ernst wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have imported several very old C sources and running
> during the import in a very special problem.
>
> All files including a 0x1A (control Z) the file is truncated
> from including the 0x1A character till end of the file
> (please don't tell me I should remove control characters).

If you want to treat these as text files, then you must, since ^Z is not
valid in the middle of a text file (not in DOS either.. not sure how you
managed to create them.. none of the standard tools will do it).

That is the EOF character - it's not CVS that is interpreting it it's
the C library (you can see the same using the 'type' command from the
command line, or even 'copy' probably truncates in this instance).

The alternative if you really must keep the ^Z is treat them as binary
files.