[cvsnt] Re: Problem importing files including 0x1A character

Gill Ernst Ernst.Gill at sat-automation.com
Wed Oct 12 15:40:48 BST 2005

This is a very curios story.
Originally it was from the brief editor, but later one we use
CodeWrite. CodeWrite opens all files in binary mode and appends
for sure all new text after the EOF. It seems all other tools are
also working with binary mode, so no one was detecting this problem
until now.

>That is the EOF character - it's not CVS that is interpreting it it's
>the C library (you can see the same using the 'type' command from the
>command line, or even 'copy' probably truncates in this instance).

But only if you open the file in text mode.
The 'copy' for instance is working, 'type' not.

But why the hell is this working when I add or modify
such a file and later on commit it to the CVSNT server.
It looks like you are using binary mode in this case.

>The alternative if you really must keep the ^Z is treat them as binary
>files.

No, it must be a text file.

	Ernst

Ernst Gill

VA TECH SAT GmbH & Co
Ruthnergasse 1
A-1210 Wien, Austria

Phone: (+43/1) 29129 4338
Fax: (+43/1) 29 28 838 or (+43/1) 29129 4649
e-mail: ernst.gill at sat-automation.com
Internet: http://www.sat-automation.com